Margaret Spence will Present Two Sessions on Workers Compensation at SHRM 13 in Chicago
Everybody Hates Workers Comp – Mini-Boot Camp for HR Managers and
Hiring & Retention Strategies to Prevent Injuries
Margaret Spence, top 20 Speaker from SHRM 2012 Conference in Atlanta returns to SHRM 2013 with two dynamic sessions.
The focus of Spence’s program is to help align HR policies with prudent workers compensation strategies. Spence says, “Every workers comp issue starts and ends with a human resources decision, the problem is we tend to separate workers comp from HR- the key part of workers compensation is – Work.”
She adds, “In an ideal world employees who have a work related injury should receive appropriate medical treatment, return to work immediately and continue to be contributing members of the employer’s team. Reality, Human Resources is inundated with employees who do not fit into this category – more than 60% of all injured workers think workers compensation is an entitlement. They exaggerate their symptoms, refuse to cooperate with employer and medical providers, they create challenges for supervisors and they affect the morale of other employees. In addition they hire attorneys who help them manipulate the system and force employers to the settlement table.” But beyond this Employers make definitive mistakes that lead employees to hire attorneys to represent them.
This session will educate human resources on building an effective injury management program and developing proactive policies.
As the HR Manager:
- Can you strategically define and measure the value of injury management to your organizations bottom-line?
- Do you clearly understand the inter-relationship between workers compensation and federal leave laws?
- Do you have proactive policies and procedures that can be implemented immediately to get injured employees back to work?
- Do you have a back-up plan just in case the employee refuses to come back to work or comply with your polices?
- Is your back up plan – terminating the employee for non-compliance?
- We will define the often overlooked ADA exposures created the by the Workers Compensation laws and the medical treatment process.
If the answer is no, to any of these questions – register for Margaret’s program at SHRM 2013.
About Margaret Spence:
Margaret Spence is the President/CEO of Douglas Claims & Risk Consultants, Inc. and WorkCompSeminars.com. The core foundation of her company is a commitment to helping employers implement proactive workers compensation and integrated disability management policies, that retains or returns ill, injured and disabled employees to the workforce. Margaret is an expert at showing companies how to navigate the often complex workers compensation system and create polices that link HR best practices with prudent injury management strategies. Follow Margaret on Twitter @MargaretSpence and read her blog Workers Comp Gazette – http://workerscompgazette.com Learn more about Margaret by visiting her website – www.MargaretSpence.com
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. Representing more than 250,000 members in over 140 countries, the Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession. Founded in 1948, SHRM has more than 575 affiliated chapters within the United States and subsidiary offices in China and India. www.shrm.org
Latest posts by Margaret Spence (see all)
- Industry Recognition: Our Client Seaboard Foods Wins Workers Compensation Award - August 12, 2016
- The Glass Ceiling for Women of Color in the Insurance Industry - June 28, 2016
- Are Insurance Consultant’s Work Product Protected? Are They a Witness or an Expert? Margaret Spence Makes Case Law - June 30, 2015